There is a little bit of childhood whimsy in patchwork. As a child, you might have seen television commercials of kids bedazzling their jean jackets and creating clothes that were fun and cool. I remember clearly wanting one of those gadgets. That kind of crafty activity had always seemed like a fun activity to partake in, but if I ever got my hands on one of those, my mom would’ve probably hidden all of the coats and jackets knowing I’d get carried away and cover everything in pink sparkles and blue jewels.
The patchwork trend is completely creative and whimsical. It instantly transforms a classic piece into something light-hearted and exciting. Some days, you just need a to take things more lightly and have a little bit more fun.
How to Wear A Patch Coat
There are so many ways to wear this coat. I’ve listed only a few below for some inspiration.
- Full Athletic Apparel: My favourite way to wear this coat is with sportswear. Growing up as a jock, sports and activities feel second nature to me and this coat just seems so well paired with everything from my drawer full of sports bras and dri fit pants.
- Athleisure, Combining a Turtleneck with Relaxed Wide leg Athletic Pant: Especially with a stripe along the side (like a pair of Adidas) works so perfectly with this coat. Finish it off with a pair of over-the-knee boots, or ankle boots.
- Sweater or Knit & Skinny Jeans: like the ones from, or a fun sweater like this animal sweater or scenic one from Gucci and jeans with over the knee or ankle boots, works really well with this coat.
- Shirt with Mom Jeans: I love this cat one from Make Me Chic. Pair them with some great mom jeans and finish off with ankle boots, great cross body bag. Accessorize with a simple chocker.
- Casual Classic: Keep it simple with a well-fitting cotton shirt and jeans, and let the coat do all the work. The pop or color and patches on the back be the pieces that stand out. Add a great backpack or crossbody bag. Finish off with a pair of sneakers or boots.
The patchwork adds some unexpected surprise to the back. Don’t you love a back moment? I have been stopped by multiple people complimenting me on this coat. Time and time again, people tell me how fun it looks and how beautiful the color is, so I know it’s a winner.
Have you added patchwork to your closet? If so, let me know what you have! I’d love to hear. If you enjoyed this post, please leave me a comment below.
Photo credit to my one and only, Rise Again BJJ.