First off, I want to thank the lovely The Whimsical Fawn blogger, Crissy who nominated me for this award. I feel so honored. Having had some kinks with my google analytics recently and being a newcomer to the personal blogging world, I wasn’t sure anyone was even reading or visiting, so it was a really special to be mentioned by someone as sweet and talented as her.
Here are some rules relating to the Liebster Award:
1. Thank the person who nominated you and post a link to their blog in your post.
2. Show the award in your blog or in your post.
3. Answer the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
4. Write 11 random facts about yourself.
5. Nominate 5-11 bloggers that you feel deserve the award.
6. Create a list of new questions for your nominees to answer.
7. Once your blog is published, let your nominees know that they have been nominated & link them to your post for more details.
Crissy asked me a list of questions to answer, and since I haven’t divulged this much about myself, I was excited to take part. I tried my best to answer these, but one that I struggled with, so I’ll return to it later. I hope you enjoy!
1) What made you start blogging?
My sister got a random invitation to fashion week. I had never been to a fashion show and hadn’t shown much interest in it before. I had so much fun with her and became hooked. In university, I started buying tickets and entered contests to try and win tickets to Fashion Week in Toronto. I ended up going for back-to-back seasons over many years. I didn’t even mind going alone. I eventually started attending a few shows with a close friend of mine, who eventually launched his own fashion label JUZD. His label ended up being sold in Holt Renfrew and various upscale boutiques across Canada. He also started a fashion blog on the side and asked me if I’d be interested in blogging about all of the events and fashion shows I was attending on Fashion Style Blog. I had wanted to start a blog for about 3-4 years at this point, but didn’t know how, so I really welcomed the invitation and was thrilled to cover a ton of things I attended ranging from fundraisers, grand openings, fashion shows, new launches, etc. With Fashion Style Blog I got to attend fashion week, grand openings, and media events – it’s what I had wanted for years and after a few months of hard work, I put us in a position where I didn’t need to look out for them much anymore. That’s the mentality I wish people to have: If you really want it, you have to go after it. The worst that’ll happen is someone will say no – but don’t let that deter you. I loved being seated at the shows and seeing new collections up close. For me, I would say the thrill is equivalent to those who love a great concert or a sports game, except I got to dress up and mingle, and as an extrovert it was up my alley. I really enjoyed that aspect of fashion, but I started wanting to blog on a more personal level. From time to time I still help, but my friend and I both have other aspirations, so we go back to Fashion Style Blog when life isn’t as crazy. Now, Fashion Style Blog is a good source of helping other people who want to blog about designers, style and fashion, without having to start their own blog.
2) Do you have a bucket list? If so, can you share with us a few things on that list?
I have a huge travel and life bucket list. I travel a lot and used to take short job contract jobs just so I could spend a few weeks travelling in my own time. I would love to go to Bora Bora, Machu Pichu, Fiji, see Morocco, Southern France, explore Italy, go to Ankor Wat and see the Himalayas. I love World Heritage Sites. It would be amazing to re-visit the Maldives, Thailand and Japan with my husband. Eventually, we would like to go to Disneyworld and Hawaii with our families. I would like to learn how to manage, master metrics and search engine optimization. Collaborating with other bloggers is on my list and I know I’ll eventually work with some good brands with strong ethics. Finally, it would be incredible for blogging be the main source of income for both Tom and I.
3) Tell us one childhood memory that brings a smile to your face!
My family and I used to go to the nearby beach when I was a kid and played a lot of sports. When I started playing volleyball in grade 4 of elementary school, my dad would pepper (pass the ball) with me and when he got tired, my mom would be a trooper and play with me. I used to go bike riding with my dad in the neighbourhood, too. Those are some of the most precious and most wonderful moments of my life.
4) Please tell me about your dream vacation! Where do you want to go & who’s going with you on this amazing trip?
I would like to do Bora Bora, Maldives, Thailand and Machi Pichu with my husband. We did Dominican Republic, Greece, Spain, Italy and numerous weekend trips to the US in 2015. Staying in a private hut on the waters of Bora Bora is on the list over the next couple of years.
5) What is your favorite movie of all time?
I loved The Little Mermaid as a kid. In University, it was A Beautiful Mind, which is a drama about an economic theory: the Prisoner’s Dilemma (I know, probably unexpected), and over the last few years, The Devil Wears Prada – probably the only movie I’ve seen more than three times.
6) If you could be one person (alive or dead) for a day who would it be and how would you spend your day?
The struggle is real because I never have an answer to this. If I ever get asked this during a job interview, I would completely blank. I really, really need to think about this one. I find it so hard because there are so many amazing people, but also reasons why I might not choose to be them. I have to get back to this one later.
7) If you can only eat one type of food for the rest of your life what would it be?
I can literally live off Haagen Daaz vanilla ice cream with almonds. My husband has to remind me not to eat the whole thing when I buy them because I devour an entire pint in one sitting and frown when I’m done, and not because I feel bad for the calories consumed, but because I want more. If I could live with working out 5 hours a day, not clog my arteries and gain 1,000 lbs, maybe I could make this work!
8) If you can recommend one book you think everyone should read before they die what would it be & why?
This is probably totally unexpected, but it’s an inspirational coffee table book that has one quote per page. The book is dedicated to inspiring you to live a fulfilling life and it’s called, May You Live a Life You Love by M.H. Clark. Even kids can read this. Less is more.
9) What brand of clothing are you currently loving?
I’m not very brand loyal for anything except my shoes. I like to wear whatever makes me feel good, adds an extra bounce in my step and helps me feel incredibly confident. Sometimes it’s something vintage and sometimes it’s new. A few brands that I love include Prada, Missoni, BCBG Max Azria, ZARA, Forever 21, Nike, Self Portrait, Alice McCall, Jonathan Simkhai, David Dixon, Valentino, Gucci, Missguided, Boohoo, Asos, etc.
10) Do you enjoy cooking? If you do, tell us what your favorite thing to cook or bake is!
Yes, I enjoy cooking. Tom and I actually eat very healthy when we cook, but then we indulge from time to time. I enjoy making chicken salad, chicken piccata, or steak. For breakfast, I love avocado toast, coffee, greek yogurt with dragon fruit and blueberries. When I lived in Japan, I loved making sake salmon. On rare occasions, I enjoy making hot chocolate, but only for Christmas or on cold days now. I don’t bake treats much because Tom and I really spoil ourselves when we make them. It usually involves us eating a dozen cookies, an entire cake, two plates of stuffed french toast per person, 5 pancakes each or something absolutely ridiculous in just one sitting.
11) Do you have any goals or aspirations with your blog? If you do, please share them with us!
I would love to be sponsored by a good fashion label, and one that has strong ethics or gives back to the less fortunate would really be great. I’d also love for blogging to become my main income source down the road. My lifestyle has revolved around fashion, fitness and travel and I would love for it to remain that way. Isn’t that the dream? To do what you love and get paid for it?
For this award, I would like to nominate the following amazing bloggers. I think each have a unique voice and deserve recognition. I would like to see them all succeed and for us to all grow together.
1) Tazhiana of TazhiLuxe – She has great beauty tips and so cool. Someone I’m sure I’d hang out with & have so much fun with.
2) Linda Arhin, a founder of Spread Style– I like how cool, stylish & talented she is. The girl I’d hang out with, go for brunch/happy hour with.
3) Rach of RD’s Obsessions – I love finding another style blogger that’s pretty new with a great sense of style.
4) Brittny of Brittny Kindred – Total glamazon. Smart, pretty and again another beauty blogger.
5) Adrienne of Beyond the Exterior. She’s so cute, a total sweetheart and is so passionate about fashion.
The questions I’d like to ask each of them are:
1) How did you get into blogging?
2) What are some bloggers that inspire you?
3) What has been your favorite travel destination? And, where do you want to go next?
4) Do you have a blogging schedule? What days have you found to be the best to publish your work?
5) What are some of your favorite social media & editing apps?
6) What is the top activity you do to drive traffic to your blog?
7) Can you share a couple of dream collaborations you’d want for your blog?
8) Do you have any guilty pleasures or indulgences? (food, travel, beauty, etc)
9) What’s your next big purchase?
10) Do you have any favorite brands or fashion labels you’re loving right now? If so, which ones?
11) What are some online sites you get amazing deals for beauty, fashion or for your blog?
If you answer these questions, please nominate 5-11 bloggers who you think deserve recognition (under 1000 followers is the recommendation, but not strictly so). Also ask 11 question’s you’d love to know about them & share it on your blog.
For those that have been nominated, feel free to not do this if this isn’t your thing! I just wanted to give you a shout out and understand that not everyone wants to answer these questions. For those of you who do participate, please tag me when your blog post is up so I can read your answers! This was a chance for me to share a little more on a personal level. Thanks so much to Crissy for nominating me!
Outfit: Shoes by Chanel. Dress by ASTR.
Photo credits to Rise Again BJJ